Sunday, January 18, 2015

Life Begins at 90 Blog #19 Keeping Fit;

Thursday,  January 15,  2015  has changed my life.  My granddaughter Tali Magal delivered twin baby girls. This makes me so happy… the 4th generation since the Holocaust! I am now a great grandmother Prababcia (pronounced Prababcha) in Polish.


       Tali Magal with Baby A and B - no names yet.


Now I have to take very good care of myself to stay around few more years to see the little ones grow up a little bit.

I have done it all my life, when it was possible, although during those 7 years of WWII it was tough going just to survive.  That means eat, rest, and exercise with pleasure.
      
Here in Sedona where people are mostly retired there is no excuse to eat late in the evening. For best digestion the main meal should be between 2-3 pm.   
If one has a good breakfast, then around 4-5pm coffee and delicious dessert (as my Aunt Ruth said, “something worth sinning for”),  and in the evening only a very light supper. Believe me this makes you sleep much better than having a heavy meal at night.  One thing please remember: Eating is a joy.  Never hurry! Your insides will be grateful!
    
I am enjoying this January, so full of sunshine and weather warm enough to go to swim in our spa at Los Abrigados. When I go to swim and do a gentle work out in the middle of the day, there is practically nobody around, so I enjoy privacy and quiet.  They are so friendly and helpful there; it is like a second home.
     
Most people I meet tell me they set aside an hour to meditate.  I don’t like to just sit… so I meditate when I swim.  I also try to have something to look forward to every day, such as meeting a friend, or going to our beautiful library, and on the way I always stumble upon some delightful adventures which are not planned at all. 
   
I met a number of very elegant sales ladies in shops when I lived in Palm Beach, and I wondered why they have to work standing on their aching feet so long at their advancing age.  Getting old has to be  prepared long before it happens. We all bought things that we really did not need when we were younger.  Then, when we got home we asked ourselves, “What did I need it for?” We should rather spend only on good quality, beautiful things that will last, and not let our impulses dictate unnecessary spending.  We will need that money later on!
Also it is helpful to have a caring husband  like I did who plans for old age wisely- or, if one is alone, to do the same  for yourself…. just a little common sense.


A big help in older age is to have good children who are your friends!  It is so much more pleasant to enjoy life together than to fight and create stress.  Sometimes it is difficult to achieve.  I am grateful to have loving, caring children and grandchildren - a real blessing!!!!! I hope they will have the same luck when they grow old.
   
Think and plan for yourself.  Do not let strangers  do it.  That can be a big mistake.

Now to rest after a great dinner at 2 p.m. and a little 20 min. nap which revives me to enjoy the rest of the day.  Shalom, and now am looking forward to be 95 years old in May.




- Nika Fleissig

Please Read My Blog Here:
http://www.lifebeginsat90.blogspot.com/

Order our book, From Miracle To Miracle: A Story of Survival (via PayPal):
http://www.FromMiracleToMiracle.com

Please view my art here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikafleissig/

No comments:

Post a Comment