Saturday, May 2, 2015

LIfe Begins at 90 #28 Perfumes



Every now and then I asked my Darling Daughter Alicia to order my favorite cologne,  Cabochard by Gres.  As I thought about how I learned about this particular perfume, I started remembering my beginnings as a married lady in Westchester, an elegant suburb of NY. One day my cousin Salo Wolf (born in Vienna and escaped in time before WWII to Israel to become one of the most prominent lawyers in 7 languages in Tel Aviv) visited us after not seeing each other since I was 15, in 1935, when had I lived for a year in his parents’ palatial  home, as I was recuperating from surgery for a broken hip.

As we were reminiscing about all the surviving family members and where they were now living, suddenly Salo told me that I have to meet our cousin who lived in Scarsdale, very close to our home in White Plains.  He was Ernest Shiftan,  a famous perfumer.  Well, it did not take me long to connect with my Berlin-born talented cousin, and my life was never the same since.
      
I studied painting in the Art Students League in New York City, commuting from White Plains to NYC, dragging all my paints, brushes, and canvases.  Imagine me as a 30+ year-old married woman with 2 children, while most of the other students were 18 years old.   I was the old lady!

A whole new world opened up for me.  I had originally decided to be a fashion designer.  Xavier Gonzalez, a great painter and teacher whom I met in Wellfleet, our summer vacation place on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, had asked me, “Do you need money?”  I answered “No, I am a kept woman…  I am married.”
He laughed and decided, “You should become a painter. “ Xavier had a fine school for studying painting right there in Wellfleet, a town of many art galleries.

Just for fun to find out if I ever had a chance as a designer, I took my portfolio to Madison Ave. in NY to a very  prestigious agency to show my designs, and got some good advice. The man in charge looked carefully, and said, “You will be very successful, I think, but it is a cut-throat business.  With a husband who works long hours in the City, and your two little children  you will need a nanny to take care of them, is it worth it to you?”

I called next day and thanked him  for saving my marriage  and enabling me to be a mother to my adorable Alicia and Willy, and decided to become a painter, which can be done in my home.

When my daughter arrived once in school with green hair, the 4th grade art  teacher guessed, “Your mom is painting?”  My paints were right next to Alicia's hair brush on my bedroom bureau where I fixed her hair every morning.

That is when Fredziu decided it was time to build a studio in the back of our home, so now most children of the neighborhood  came to admire the freedom of creating anything they like without worry.  I also got a kiln when my husband’s  friends heard that I also do small sculptures and ceramics. That was my birthday present:  I could fire my creations at home and not wait for weeks to get it in a professional kiln.

Once in a while when I was already in the city, I met my cousin Ernest on 57th St. in NY, at the Russian Tea Room which was very close to the IFF International Flavor and Fragrances Corp. on 57th St. where he was  Senior Vice President. Once I was invited to see how perfume of the world is created by him.  It was fascinating watching big bins of all kinds of smelly substances, excuse me, fragrances, from all over the world assembled on the bottom floor of  the IFF building. The next three floors were to manufacture the products ordered by different firms of the world, and the top floor looked to me like an insane asylum --men in white passing each other quietly on the long corridor holding strips of paper like a fan and sniffing each fragrance separately.  To my amazement I learned that most of the well-known perfumes and colognes were created there at their factory on 57th St, and then sent to France to get a stamp,   and voila:  French perfume!


From then on I got at Christmas samples of all known new colognes, among them one about which my cousin said, “This is you:  Cabochard.”
I still use it now.  However, young people like new things all the time, so Alicia had to search the internet and order several bottles for me, as it is no longer sold in stores. 
 
Ernest Shiftan, known as "The Nose"
- a developer of perfume for IFF

The Russian Tea Room was filled at the time with artists and all kinds of well-known business people and I was sitting in the best round red loge.
My cousin gave waitresses cologne as gifts so they always found  the best seat for him. Ernest sat like a king receiving underlings, and introduced me as his cousin - which was the truth.  I saw men winking one eye -  you know how it looks -  they did not believe it. They thought maybe I am a girlfriend.  His wife heard about it and distrusted me ever since.  Ouch! I was so innocent then.  Old stories make me laugh today. What fun my beginning as a young wife and mother and budding artist was, tasting the delights of freedom so appreciated and valued after surviving such a horrible war.  
I THANK every day for my good luck.   


PS. Daughter Alicia adds, Because there are so many people who are sensitive to perfumes and scent, it is a rule at the synagogue and many places in Sedona that one should NOT wear scented products.  I have to remind my mother NOT to put on her favorite Cabochard when she comes to services and events, although I have to admit it is a delightful scent on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment