Saturday, March 14, 2015

#24 Life Begins at 90 BITING

Blog 24 – BITING

This time I have written about a problem - only to be read by people who do not complain ….
    
Nothing in our body was programmed for so long, to live past 90?! We have artificially, through brilliant inventions, managed to repair most anything.
I have had a new hip and both knees replaced,  a face lift 20 years ago to look younger; we concoct all kinds of ugly green drinks to swallow to clean up our  liver and stomach (sort of a roto-rooter for our clogged veins) thus permitting our heart to beat much longer then it was designed for.

What I am concerned about is my teeth -  biting in particular.
Remember biting into an apple when we were young? No problem,  just  fun!
Well, do not try it now please. Also, a nice bagel with cream cheese and lox?  Rather ask the nice man to cut it for you into smaller pieces and just pop it in.
    
I just returned from my very capable  dentist (many diplomas hanging around  for reassurance)  and found out that I grind my teeth in my sleep,  and therefore my teeth  break in places or get slowly worn down.  By the way do not try to shop around for a cheaper dentist - there is no such person around.
They have in the office a list of repair prices.  So pick one you like who is an interesting person, with sense of humor, and knows his business.  Why settle for less if the price is the same?
  
In Summer I have my teeth cleaned by a modest dentist working alone in Cape Cod without a big office or assistants to help, yet the prices are almost the same..

This awareness of the dangers of biting into something hard continued for many years until last summer when I forgot my own advice and have bitten too many times into hard food.
I lost half of my front tooth which had to be fixed with a hot special bonding tool and compound.  Had to go to the dentist at the Cape who usually only cleans my teeth, (not my regular genius dentist in Winter).  “No problem,” he said.  “I can fix it.” He did-- and we hoped it will last to the end of my life.

Always the optimist, I ate happily, biting away on harder foods.

One sunny day recently in Sedona I felt something moving between my front teeth, so I visit my talented regular “problem fixer.”
“Am I imagining doctor something jumping around in my mouth?” 
“No-- you are not imagining it”  the dentist replied.
The whole filling put in a year ago did not last and had to be redone.

Now there were three people around me, giving an injection to feel comfortable and each one with all kinds of tools just invented.  One hour later and 300 dollars poorer out I go with a stiff upper lip and trying to smile.

Some repairs I have needed for my teeth are over 1000 dollars (and these are just small repairs).  My daughter promised to talk to our bookkeeper about deducting this from my taxes- not to worry.

As usual I started thinking of my home in Krakow Poland where my brother and I ate dinner with our parents at 2 pm each day. I remember always seeing next to my father’s dish cut up pieces of bread and I wondered why.  Now I understand -no biting!!!!!

All the same problems come to the one who managed to live past 90-  just hope the money will last – or maybe finally  to get  false teeth put into a  glass cheerfully at night?  Why bother with such trifles?  One should be grateful to have gifted, good-looking, kind  children and grandchildren.  I can walk, read, drive a car (during the day and not far), see friends, listen to  music….so much to be grateful for.

Just remember - no biting into a hard bagel!

  
- Nika Fleissig


Please Read My Blog Here:
http://www.lifebeginsat90.blogspot.com/

Order our book, From Miracle To Miracle: A Story of Survival (via PayPal):
http://www.FromMiracleToMiracle.com

Please view my art here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikafleissig/


No comments:

Post a Comment